Vitiligo is the appearance of random white patches on the skin.The skin gets its characteristic colour from melanin—a pigment manufactured by cells in the epidermis called Melanocytes. When these cells stop functioning, white patches start to appear.
These patches can appear on any part of the body but appear mostly on the face, back, and hands.
Causes Of Vitiligo
White patches appear due to a lack of melanin, and the exact reason behind this is still unknown. However, doctors do have some theories as to the probable vitiligo causes.
- White patches can appear due to skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema
- They can also appear due to fungal infection—tinea versicolour is a skin condition that leads to white patches on the skin
- Lack of vitamin B12 can also cause white patches on the skin which eventually can lead to neurological disorder
- Depigmentation takes place when a few skin cells start losing their pigment; researchers claim this happens due to autoimmunity
Conditions aggravate with excessive intake of processed and junk food, improper health and hygiene, too much emotional stress, and even due to excessive antibiotic medication.
The presence of white patches is considered unsightly by most; no matter how much concealer you use, hiding them is not easy. However, you can make use of the following tips to cure vitiligo.
- Ginger : You can use ginger in a variety of ways to treat white patches. You can make ginger juice and mix it with lemon juice and water and drink twice daily or simply rub ginger on the spots to eliminate them. You can also make a paste with ginger and red clay and apply it on the affected regions. Let it dry for 20-30 minutes and wash off.
- Turmeric : Turmeric can be used for vitiligo treatment. Make a mixture of turmeric powder and mustard oil and apply this on the white patches two times daily for. You need to continue doing this for at least a year to get rid of the spots permanently.
- Neem : Neem is the solution to all your skin problems, including white patches. Apply neem paste on the patches to get back the natural glow on your skin. You can also mix two tsp of neem juice with one tsp of honey, and drink this everyday to eliminate white patches and marks on your skin.
- Honey : Honey has antifungal properties that can help treat tinea versicolour and other infections. Wash your skin and pat it dry. Apply honey and wait till it gets absorbed by your skin.You can also make a paste with sandalwood paste, honey, rice powder, and turmeric and apply this on the patches.
- Holy Basil : Holy basil is another leaf that is known for its health benefits. You can rub the leaves directly on the affected areas, or boil them in water containing turmeric and—after bringing it down to room temperature— apply it for faster results.Vitiligo in children can be treated with any of the above remedies. Vitiligo treatment and management becomes easy when you keep your skin protected from the rays of the sun, as direct exposure can cause depigmentation and white patches.