Change Your Diet To Improve Your Health
Old airport road, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
Do you know that every time you eat is an opportunity, you give yourself for nourishing your body? The fact is that good nutrition is an essential ingredient that must be added to maintain good health. So you must eat good, feel good, and finally do good. For this, you should inculcate healthy eating habits into your daily routine.
So, what is healthy eating?
You are not supposed to diet strictly, or deprive yourself of food that you crave for. Rather it’s just about choosing the balanced diet that has all the required nutrients in sufficient amounts that make you feel fabulous, enhances your energy levels, boosts your outlook, and maintains your mood.
The foods you choose must surely include the five groups of foods that are whole grains, fruits and veggies, dairy products, proteins, and fats and sugars. These are the main components and makes the crucial part of your balanced diet
Why shift to eating healthy?
Changing your eating habits shows a positive impact on your health. It is said that small changes make a greater impact on your health. Did you know? Poor nutrition or imbalanced diet intake causes preventable diseases. So, begin with basic changes in your nutrition to obtain the best health, after all, health is wealth!
Here are some tips for beginners:
- Eliminate all drinks except water, plain tea, and black coffee. Try to avoid soda, sweetened tea, cola, designer coffee and other energy drinks which have more amounts of fat and calories that actually you don’t need.
- You must drink at least eight to twelve glasses of water each day to stay healthy and well hydrated
- This tip would be a bit heart breaking but as it is said a bitter medicine cures the hard disease, likewise to gain something you must avoid few things. It is best for you to avoid fast food, and good to shift to low-sodium soups, carrying homemade food to the workplace, and avoiding readymade foods would also gain you the healthy life.
Effects of healthy eating on mental and emotional health?
As we understood that eating healthy can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle and avoids certain heart complications, surprisingly! Healthy eating has a profound impact on your mental and emotional good being. Many studies have shown linked that eating a typical western that is processed diet such as sugary snacks, processed meat, packaged meals have caused depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety in the people. So be aware, eating unhealthy foods may even have the scope to develop serious mental disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, and schizophrenia, and may unfortunately also lead to the suicidal tendency.
Tips to avoid mental disorders by eating healthy diet:
- You must eat more fresh fruits and vegetables. These are the best sources of good health
- You must avoid eating outside as much as possible, try to cook fresh, eat fresh and feel healthy
- You avoid refined carbohydrates and sugars; this may improve your mood and can lower the risk for mental health issues
- If you are already a victim, that means, already are diagnosed with any of the mental health problems, no worries it even works for you, eating healthy can help you in managing your symptoms and regain the health again.
Would you like to know the top 6 secrets of healthy eating, if yes! Here are the top secrets:
- Cooking is fun
You can monitor wisely on what is going into your tummy and adjust if it’s less or if it’s more. You can make healthy recipes in a hygienic way and stay out of infections and other food borne diseases. So cook delicacies at home and stay healthy.
- Choosing what is right
It’s perfect to cut down the unhealthy foods from your diet but is you replacing them with healthy ones? Yes you must. It is good to replace the harmful trans fats with healthy fats. For example: you can cut down fried chicken from the diet and can replace it with a grilled fish. Isn’t it wise? Such simple modifications can make a positive difference to your health.
- Feeling after the meal
You must focus on the way you feel after having the food. The more healthy diet you take, the better you feel after the meals. The more junk you eat, the more nauseous, uncomfortable, or drained out you feel. So, concentrate on how you feel after you eat this makes you understand what to avoiding your diet.
- Feeding yourself with rainbow of fruits and vegetables
You must fill your tummy with natural colorful fruits and vegetables, and this helps replace the unhealthy junk. These colorful fruits are high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Using fiber to lose your weight
Did you know eating foods high in fiber can help you stay away from the risk of heart diseases, stroke, diabetes, and most importantly it is helpful in shedding down your weight. The more the natural the food is, the more it is rich in fiber. Approximately you should have 21 to 38 grams of fiber per day for a stable health. But we aren’t even having half of that amount.
Include whole grains, barley, oatmeal, beans, nut and veggies such as carrot, tomatoes, and celery in your diet to enhance your intake of fiber.
How can fiber help you lose weight?
Fiber makes your stomach feel complete and full making you stay longer without eating; this helps you eat less. It also helps in moving the fat through your digestive system faster that helps in less absorption.
- Taking more healthy carbs and whole grains
Healthy carbs: these are helpful in maintaining the blood glucose levels and energy levels. They stay for a longer time and are digested slowly. Whole grains, beans, vegetables, and fruits are considered to have ample amounts of healthy carbs.
Unhealthy carbs: They are easily digestible and cause spikes in your blood glucose levels. White flour, refined sugar, white rice has bad carbs that are unhealthy.
Food can be a blessing. The same way it can either turn out to be a mishap if not taken in a balanced format. Eating healthy shows a greater impact on your health. So, it’s your own responsibility to think wisely about what to eat and what not to. Choose the healthy, balanced diet to make your life a better balanced and a healthy one.
© Copyright MANIPAL HOSPITALS