Food the new mantra to get off Diabetic medication
Bommanahalli, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
Jiyo Natural salutes diabetes fighter - Sherri Shepherd.
I am a type-2 diabetic, and they took me off medication simply because I ate right and exercised. Diabetes is not like a cancer, where you go in for chemo and radiation. You can change a lot through a basic changing of habits. Sherri Shepherd is an American comedian, author, businesswoman, actress, and television personality. Healthy eating includes eating wholesome food in the amount required by our body.
- Sherri Shepherd an American comedian, author, businesswoman, actress, and television personality. Apart from Sherri Shepherd, a number of celebrities like Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, cricketer WasimAkram and even our very own VJ Gaurav are diabetic. Inspite of this dreaded disease they have been successful in their respective careers and are leading a normal life by following a healthy lifestyle of Right food, moderate exercise and stress management.
Prevention is better than cure. Very true to prevent such life style diseases like Diabetes. However if one is diagnosed with Diabetes, certain dietary modification is required to keep the blood sugar in control. A popular myth is to avoid/severely restrict carbohydrates and include more proteins which is not true. The following are the tips to managing diabetes with the right food:
Glycemic Index, Jiyo Natural's suggestion to your blood sugar
- Include a low fat, low Glycemic Index diet.Low GI food leads to slow digestion and gradual increase and decrease in glucose response which helps to control blood glucose levels in Diabetic people.This also helps to delay hunger pangs which makes a person to over eat.Low GI foods include whole grains and cereals like oats, barley, and broken wheat, legumes like rajma/masoor and lentils, millets like ragi, foxtail and little millet.
- On that basis, we have:
- High Glycemic food (65-75%) - refined products, white rice and root vegetables
- Intermediate Glycemic food (45-55%) - Fruits
- Low Glycemic food (30-40%) - Legumes, gourds and other vegetables
Jiyo Natural suggestion for diabetes cure - Fenugreek Seeds
Certain examples of dietary modification include replacing a portion of rice with either millets/broken wheat/oats. Including more of fresh vegetables in the form of steamed subzis or in the form of unstrained soups. Making the rotis multigrain and not just wheat based.Instead of having plain rice, addchopped greens like fenugreek/amaranth/dill/spinach to up the nutritional value and lower the GI.
There are certain foods that help to lower the blood sugar levels. They include:
- Fenugreek seeds (seeds/powder can be used in dosa/idli batter, mixed with chapathi dough, added to buttermilk etc)
- Cinnamon, powder of which can be used in the same way as fenugreek seeds.
- Jiyo NAtural's suggestion for diabetes cure - Cinnamon
Ladies finger, mucilaginous vegetables like bhindi or bendekai when prepared adding less oil can help to regulate blood sugar and also relieves constipation. Its high folate content prevents anaemia and is useful especially for pregnant women with gestational diabetes.
Eating healthy and the right kind of food helps in dealing with fluctuating blood sugars in people with Diabetes. A stable blood sugar aids a diabetic to lead a normal life and involve completely in the day to day activities. So be wise, eat right!
If you are still finding it a challenge to eat right for diabetes, email us on firstname.lastname@example.org and our Doctor and Nutritionist will be happy to help you.