Managing Type 2 diabetes with Ayurveda
Indiranagar, Bengaluru Feb 14, 2017
According to the International Diabetes Federation, there are 642 million people with diabetes in the world, as of 2016. Diabetes is a worldwide epidemic, type 2 being the most common that is growing due to the present-day sedentary lifestyle and lack of physical fitness. Type 2 diabetes can affect all age groups, and the most common symptoms include fatigue, weight loss, blurred vision, frequent hunger, and frequent urination.
Ayurveda is known for its holistic approach, which minimises the disease complications and promotes mind-body balance. Along with Ayurvedic remedies, the Ayurvedic treatment for diabetes includes promoting an active lifestyle and adopting a healthy diet plan to notice results.
The best ayurvedic medicine for diabetes 2 can be found in everyone’s home. Below are 5 natural Ayurvedic remedies that you need to treat diabetes effectively, and keep it under control.
1.Bitter Gourd or Karela:
• Slice a bitter gourd and remove the seeds, and blend it into a juice. Drink one cup of the juice on an empty stomach every morning.
• Boil a cup of water with some pieces of dried bitter gourd, and consume this tea once or twice in a day.
• Include slices of bitter gourd into your curries, and stir-fry dishes.
2. Fenugreek or Methi:
• Soak methi seeds in water overnight and drink this water first thing in the morning.
• Dry roast some methi seeds for about two minutes, and powder them. Add this powder to hot or cold water and drink it once or twice every day.
• Add 2 tbsp of methi seeds into one cup of boiling water and steep for 10 minutes. Consume this liquid twice a day for effective reduction in blood levels.
3. Indian Gooseberry Or Amla:
• Grind 2 or 3 amla without the seeds into a fine paste. Strain the liquid from this paste, mix this juice of about 2 tbsp into a cup of water, and have it on an empty stomach.
• You can mix one and a half tbsp of amla powder in a glass of water, and drink it once a day.
• Include amla in your daily diet, and you may also have raw amla.
• Boil about a litre of water, add 3 tsp of cinnamon powder into it and simmer for about 20 minutes. Strain the liquid and have it daily.
• In a cup of warm water, mix 1 tsp of cinnamon powder. Drink this every day.
• You may add cinnamon powder to your beverages; sprinkle on salads, dishes or dips.
5. Gymnema or Gurmar:
• You may take gymnema in the form of tablets and capsules.
• Boil a handful of dried leaves in a glass of water, along with cardamom. Drink this liquid once every day.
• Add 1 tsp of leaf powder into your green tea and consume it once or twice daily.