Prepare Yourself In Advance for Hair Transplant
Dr. Vivekanand N Bhat
Lavelle road, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
A Hair transplant is a process where hair is moved to the bald area of the head by the Dermatological surgeon. The surgeon moves the hair from the side or the back of the head to the top or the front of the head to cover the baldness. Hair transplant is usually done under the local anesthesia.
The major reason for baldness case is genetic. The remaining cases can be due to stress, illness, medication and diet.
Anyone who is facing the hair loss issues can be suggested to go for Hair Transplant Surgery to gain back their self confidence. Often people may rush to get it done without considering if there are any side effects. There are minor side effects or complications that may occur, so it is important to prepare yourself in advance. Below are the side effects along with its cure:
- Pain: In hair transplant surgery, there is very little pain is involved. About half of the people who have gone through this surgery will not need any pain killer at all. Rest of the others might have to take a mild pain reliever for few days.
- Itching: After the surgery, it is possible for itching to occur on the areas affected by the transplant. However, it will not last for more than few days. Everyday use of shampoo to wash your hair will help in diminishing this problem.
- Swelling: Swelling around the eyes and in the forehead has been experienced by almost everyone after the hair transplant surgery. This may last maximum till four days after the surgery.
- Thinning: After the surgery you may find that the hair you already had, are getting thinner. This is normal post surgery and thickness will come back within few months after surgery.
- Infection: Antibiotics are always given before and after the surgery to prevent any infection form start. However in very rare cases infection may occur, so don’t get too worried about this side effect.
- Bleeding: One of the side effects of hair transplant surgery is Bleeding. It can be stopped by putting some pressure on that area. In rare cases, if the bleeding does not stop then the surgeon will have to do some extra stitching to close the wounds.
- Numbness: One of the temporary and common side effects of hair transplant surgery is numbness. Patient may feel numbness for few weeks after the surgery.
- Scarring: Scarring may happen in case the patient is genetically inclined.
- Cysts: Cysts are also one of the common side effect of the hair transplant. It can arise immediately after the surgery. The areas where new hair has been grafted can get harmed resulted in the formation of cysts. They are in a size of small pimples and will not last for more few weeks. They are easily treatable by the help of medication.
- Hiccups: Only about 5% of the patients have this problem which can easily be treated with the help of medication. You might get problems in eating and sleeping properly as it last for few days.