Why is Hypothyroidism Common in Urban Young Women
Domlur, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
Hypothyroidism refers to a decrease in production of hormones by the gland. Some of the common symptoms that could signal hypothyroidism are weight gain or failure to lose weight despite a proper weight loss regime, enlargement in the neck, increased cold sensitivity, lethargy, heavy menstrual periods, numbness in hands, dry skin and hair and constipation.
Urban women, now days, are suffering from thyroid issues at a much younger age than before. They tend to neglect their health, not only their diet is unbalanced in terms of adequate nutrition because of improper knowledge, they also lack the required physical activity. In a struggle to balance life, home and work, women tend to turn a blind eye to symptoms such as obesity, failure to lose weight, tiredness, body ache, mood swings, excessive hair fall, irritability, menstrual disorders, etc., which typically point towards medical disorders, of which thyroid related ailments are the most common.
Dear women, if you have Hypothyroidism, chances are there it will be with you for the rest of your life, so clearly healthy eating, exercising and taking care of yourself must be priorities.
Nutrition is more likely to play a key role in the treatment of hypothyroidism as compared to hyperthyroidism. You also need to understand that you might be at an increased risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, so it becomes all the more important to adopt a healthful lifestyle.
Health and Nutrition tips to build and boost your Thyroid:
- This sounds like a no-brainer, but take your thyroid medicine without fail as prescribed by your physician.
- Get your iron levels checked time to time as your thyroid needs Iron to function properly. Hypothyroidism becomes worse with iron deficiency.
- If you need to lose weight, cut back on how much you eat, watch your portion sizes.It might look repetitive but let’s accept most of us still ignore this important tip.
- Certain foods, such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage, etc might be good for you, but can affect the production of thyroid hormone. You don’t have to remove it from your life forever, as cooking these vegetables seems to lessen the effect and can be consumed once in awhile.
- Soy contains a substance called genistein, which can decrease thyroid hormone production. Go easy with soy foods such as soy milk, tofu yet, it’s not that you can’t eat soy foods, but limit them to a few times per month.
- Eat foods that can help your body build and boost Thyroid hormone. These foods contain nutrients such as B vitamins, omega fatty selenium, zinc, tyrosine, and iodine. Poultry, seafood, lean meat, whole grains, onions, beans, almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, avocados, seeds, and low-fat dairy foods may be helpful. Go easy on fatty and sugary foods (this will help you maintain blood sugar levels, too!).
- It would be better if you follow a low glycemic index diet. Try to cut out energy sapping foods such as those with high sugar and fat content.
- Get plenty of sunlight to optimize your vitamin D levels.
- Herbs that support thyroid function include ashwaganda, eleuthero root extract, rhodiola and other adrenal adaptogens.
- Detox yourself once in awhile, like using a sauna, taking Epsom salt baths, adding parsley, or cilantro to your daily smoothie to help your body remove toxins.
- Work on lowering stress levels through daily gratitude, prayer, meditation, yoga, deep breathing!
- Also, regular exercise is crucial. Exercise releases ‘happy hormones‘ in the body thereby reducing the stress levels by improving low moods and depression, also keeps you fit and fine.
To help you take your first step towards a healthy lifestyle, we are happy to introduce you to Portea Activ, an end-to-end health and fitness program that aims to manage your comprehensive fitness needs. Portea Activ helps you to achieve this. We, through a comprehensive health assessment, customized calorie-counted diet plan, personalized 1-to-1 nutrition coaching and a range of food and fitness products help execute your plans all of which is carefully designed and executed by our medically certified experts.
Here’s wishing you a healthy life. Get Up, Get Activ!