Medikoe Health Expert
Koramangala, bengaluru, karnataka, india, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
The appendix is a tube which is located near the large intestine and its purpose although unknown is believed to have something to do with immunity. When the healthy cells abnormally multiply, they become a tumor inside the appendix and are cancerous if they turn malignant.
Types of appendix cancers
- Colonic adenocarcinoma: similar to colon cancer and the most common type od appendix cancer.
- Mucinous adenocarcinoma: also called MAA and can be of two types, low and high grade.
- Goblet cell adenocarcinoma: a very rare cancer, it involves the presence of cells similar to the goblet cells present in the digestive tract.
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma: Another common type of appendix cancer, it is caused due to tumour formed by cells from the wall of the bowel
- Signet ring cell adenocarcinoma: It is the most aggressive type of appendix cancer which has high chances of spreading to other organs.
- Chronic abdomen pain
- Discomfort in the lower left abdomen
The most common treatment option is appendectomy, a surgery where the appendix is removed. In more advanced cases where the tumors are larger, there may be a need to operate on the colon as well and could include a need for chemotherapy.