Ayurveda Remedies For Acne And Pimples
Medikoe Wellness Expert
80 feet road indira nagar, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
Acne is one of the biggest concerns as they can be stubborn, painful and leave behind permanent scars. It is a skin condition that obstructs the hair follicles with oil and dead skin cells. It usually appears on the face, back, shoulders, neck, and chest. Acne can be distressing and irritatingly persistent. It cures slowly and when one starts to subside others crop up. This is why acne begins to scarring of the skin and in a few cases, leads to emotional distress. So, it is beneficial to start the treatment early and lessen the risk of physical and emotional suffering. Ayurveda provides natural remedies to skin problems using age-old herbal treatment methods.
What is Acne Vulgaris?
Acne vulgaris, also known as acne, is a skin problem when oil and dead skin cells clog up the pores on the skin is also known as whiteheads pimples, blackheads, blemishes, or zits. When you have just a few pimples or red spots, you have a mild form of acne. Severe acne can intend hundreds of pimples that can cover the neck, chest, face and back. Or it can be bigger solid cysts or red lumps that are painful. It is prevalent among teenagers and typically gets better after teenage. Some females who never had acne growing up will have it as an adult, usually right before the menstrual periods.
What causes Acne Vulgaris?
Hair follicles are attached with glands known as sebaceous glands that contain an oily substance known as sebum to lubricate skin and hair. When the follicles are obstructed, it swells and forms what is known as whiteheads. So acne is not provoked by incorrect diet or by sexual activity as some regard it to be. Acne is not even prompted by dirt or not cleaning the face regularly. It is noted that using certain oil-based cosmetics or skincare products can lead to acne and worsen the condition. At times acne can be inherited too.
Ayurveda Home Remedies for Acne Scars
A sacred herb, tulsi effectively treats acne and works as a natural blemishing agent. The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of tulsi aid to acne and breakouts at bay. To make an anti-acne face mask at home:
- Take a bunch of tulsi and neem leaves and crush them together to make a paste.
- Add a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply this on the acne.
- Once it dries off, rinse the paste with water and pat dry.
Or you can also just pick some fresh leaves, smash them and apply the juice extracted on your face. Leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing.
Amla helps in naturally remove acne marks and blemishes. Works as a natural elixir, it fights acne by eliminating bacteria and prevents scarring. Apply amla juice or paste on your face, and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water. If you have sensitive skin, reduce the juice with water and then apply. Be regular with this treatment for better outcomes.
Many medical practitioners have suggested honey for acne scars. Using other chemical products to treat acne can wreck your skin, whereas honey is pure and a natural ingredient for treating acne. Honey for acne can be utilised either internally or externally. Honey is the best home remedy for acne because of its anti-inflammatory properties. This property helps in decreasing the swelling and redness that occurs with the acne. Applying drops of honey on areas of your acne and scars regularly (externally) or simply drinking honey with water (internally) can help in reducing them.
Neem is a common ingredient in all skincare products, applying neem paste by grinding leaves and rinsing it off after it dries aids in restoring the affected area.
Using neem water as a skin toner frequently will help in removing acne, pigmentation, scars, and blackheads. Boil nearly 20 neem leaves in half a litre of water till the leaves are discoloured and soft, and the water turns green—strain and store in a bottle. Soak a cotton ball into it and wipe your face.
Potatoes and potato juice are acknowledged to significantly lighten pigmentation and dark acne spots.
Slice thin discs of potatoes and massage it on your face to effectively kill acne-causing bacteria and imparting a natural glow to your face.
Papaya is rich in vitamin A. Although it’s assumed that vitamin A might play a role in the growth and treatment of acne, the influence of diet on acne remains unclear. The enzymes papain and chymopapain in papaya can reduce inflammation. The protein-dissolving papain can be seen in many exfoliating products. These products help decrease acne by eliminating dead skin cells that can clog pores. Applying a mashed papaya face pack not only helps get rid of pimples but brightens and smoothens skin as well.
Do’s and Don’ts for Acne and Pimples
- Attention should be on raw foods, especially fresh vegetables and fruits, sprouted seeds, whole-grain cereals and raw nuts, especially brown rice and millet
- Unsweetened plain or lemon water, either cold or hot, should be drunk
- Measures should be adopted to exterminate constipation.
- Wash your face regularly (plain water splashes)
- Steam your face at least for two times a week
- Use a separate face soap and towel
- Yoga and own proper hygiene
- Consume a healthy balanced diet rich in vegetables and fruits
- Notify your doctor if you are taking any other oral medications like hormones or oral contraceptive pills, etc
- Ask your doctor for any explanation about your medications
- Do not pinch/pluck at your acne or pimples or even touch them. They can scar
- Do not apply any strong medicated soap
- Do not end your medications abruptly without discussing with your doctor
- Do not use any oily cosmetics
- Limit protein, starchy and fatty foods
- Avoid sugar, meats, strong coffee or tea, pickles, refined and processed foods
- Bananas, citrus fruits, dried, stewed or tinned fruits should not be taken
- Avoid ice cream, candies, soft drinks and products made with sugar and white flour
Are you looking for a health expert around you?
Medikoe is an online platform that allows you to search and connect with the most qualified and experienced doctors near you. Have a query related to health? Get it answered for free within 24 hours only at Medikoe. Download Medikoe’s Mobile app and book an appointment with a doctor for free.