How to increase calories?
Dr Gowher Yusuf
Hal 3rd stage, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
Adding more fat to diet will increase calories without adding bulk.
Remember that fat has 9 calories per gram, while protein and carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram.
- Emphasize vegetable oils such as flaxseed or canola and cold water fish that supply high levels of the essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega- 6).
- Avoid or reduce the use of foods with hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils that create trans-fatty acids that interfere with the body`s ability to utilize the essential fatty acids.
- Add butter or oil to meats, vegetables, hot cereals, and cooked desserts.
- Mayonnaise, sour cream, and salad dressings can be served on vegetables, meats, sandwiches, and fruit salads.
- Include peanut butter and other nut butters that are high in oil.
- Cream and ice cream have a high fat content.
- Add heavy cream to puddings.
- Mix fruit- sweetened ketchup or yogurt with 1 to 3 teaspoons of flax oil to get rid of the oily taste and make it more palatable to children.
- Avocados are high in fat and calories. They are excellent for softer diets.