How to Prevent Sports Injuries?
Btm layout, Bengaluru May 16, 2019
Whether you play sports for competition or exercise for fitness with proper precautions, sports injuries are common. However, it can be prevented with quality of protective equipment including shoes, padding, mouth guards, helmets which help to improve the safety in sports.
What are the causes of sports injuries?
The most common causes of sports injuries include:
- Wearing improper sporting gear
- Improper stretching or warm-up practices before a sporting exercise or event
- Poor or inappropriate training practices
- Being in the poor health condition
What are the most common sports injuries?
The most common injuries in sports include:
- Muscle injuries
- Strains and sprains
- Pain along the shin bone
- Joint injuries (shoulder, knee, ankle)
- Dislocations of bone
- Achilles tendon injuries
Methods to Help Prevent Sports Injuries
The following are some necessary steps to prevent sports injuries:
Make sure you are in appropriate physical condition before participating in any sports events. Also, it is essential for all athletes to undergo a proper training routine that facilitates the right level of fitness to participate in a particular sport.
Know the rules
Every sport or workout has a rule book. They are designed to keep things safe and to reduce the number of sports injuries. A better understanding of how a game is played, and the more a person is aware of the rules of the game, the less likely they will break the rules and put themselves and others at risk.
Wear appropriate protective equipment and gear
Many sports require specific equipment in order to safeguard your health. For example, mouth guards, protective pads, gloves, helmets, and other equipment. Consider buying the one that fits your hands, head, knees, eyes, and teeth. Whether it’s a practice, game, or just for fun, never plays without safety gear.
Always warm up before playing
Warm muscles are less prone to injury. To prevent damage, the proper warm-up is required. Make sure you shortlist your warm-up exercises to suit your game. You can start playing slowly, or practice a specific mental rehearsal or stretching based on your activity.
Physical benefits linked with warm up before to a sporting event or workout:
- It prepares the muscles for stretching
- It warms up the muscles by enhancing the blood moving through the tissue of muscle, thus making the muscles more flexible and supple
- It prepares the heart for an increase in activity
- It stimulates and primes the nerve-to-muscle pathways for the sports or workouts events
- It increases the delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the muscles by increasing the flow of the blood
- It prepares and maintains the balance of mind for the new sports or workouts event
Competitors have more injuries, with a large number of consecutive days of training. While many athletes think that the more they train, the better they will play, this is a misconception. Taking breaks in between practice is a critical component of proper training. This can prevent sports injuries and make you stronger.
Avoid playing when you are in pain or very tired
Pain is the most often warning sign of sports injury. Sometimes, it is difficult to determine whether the pain is linked with the physical exertion of the activity or your body have encountered an injury. Hence, it is recommended by fitness expert to avoid playing any sports when you are exhausted or in pain.
What are the factors increasing your risk of sports injuries?
The factors that increase your risk of sports injuries include:
- A large number of consecutive days of training. On the day of recovery, reduce the rate of injury by allowing the muscles and connective tissue to recover between the workouts.
- If you have a history of injury. Previous muscle or joint injuries develop into a chronic problem area for many athletes. First wound warming and stretching is significant.
If you or someone you know is going through something similar, then remember that you are not alone. There are people and help that you can reach out to help you cope with these challenges. If you have a related question and want to consult with an expert then, you can find one near you on Medikoe. Medikoe is a platform that helps you connect with certified and experienced fitness trainer near you for the best advice.
Have a quick question pertaining to your health? Get it answered for free by experts within 24 hours on Medikoe.