Keto Diet Plan for Beginners
Medikoe Food n Health Expert
80 feet road indira nagar, Bengaluru Apr 12, 2019
The food that we eat has a direct impact on the overall health and wellbeing. Eating an unhealthy diet increases the risk of various health problems while eating a well-balanced and a healthy diet boosts one’s physical as well as mental health. Owing to its various health benefits, the ketogenic diet (also known as a keto diet) has become a very popular diet plan in the past few years.
What is a Keto Diet?
A keto diet is one that includes high amounts of fats and adequate amounts of protein but is low in carbohydrates. The main focus is on replacing the carbs with fats, leading to a process known as ketosis in the body. When one starts following a keto diet, the body starts burning fats (instead of carbohydrates) to produce energy and fats are converted into ketones, which supplies energy for the brain. This leads to a significant reduction in blood sugar levels as well as insulin levels. Hence, a keto diet helps in losing weight and prevents health conditions like diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s, etc.
Keto diet plan:
As already mentioned, a keto diet should include healthy amounts of fats and proteins and should be low in carbohydrates. Here are a few healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner options to choose from while following a keto diet:
- Breakfast: a healthy keto breakfast may include:
- An omelet loaded with lots of cheese
- Scrambled eggs cooked in butter or olive oil
- You can also add lots of low-fiber veggies like capsicum, onions, tomato, and herbs like basil and other healthy spices into the mix
- Sugar-free yogurt with sugar-free peanut butter
- Fried eggs with mushrooms
- Bullet coffee (consisting of coffee decoction, coconut oil, heavy cream, butter, and water)
- Lunch: here are a few keto lunch recipes to choose from:
- A salad consisting of low carb veggies like spinach, capsicum, mushrooms, etc. Stir fry these in olive oil and add butter to the mix. Additionally, you may also add chicken, eggs, or loads of cheese to the mix
- Baked beans with cheese
- Chicken or mutton stew
- A handful of nuts and celery sticks
- Cabbage cooked in coconut oil and coconut milk
- Spinach soup with added butter and a side dish of stir-fried low carb veggies
- Dinner: a keto dinner may consist of:
- Chicken stuffed with cream cheese and veggies
- Egg and cheese burger
- Fish and eggs with a side dish of low-carb veggies or a salad
- Baked spinach with cheese and cream
- Stir-fried chicken with salad (loaded with cheese)
You may try alternating among the above-mentioned dishes and even tweak them a bit to suit your taste. Remember to base your diets on meat, cheese, butter, nuts, healthy oils, etc. and avoid eating processed foods, carbonated drinks, milk, sugar, sweets, and consuming alcohol. If you feel like snacking, you may go for soaked almonds, cheese, nuts and seeds, strawberries and cream, boiled eggs, etc.
You will start to notice a difference within a few weeks. A keto diet may be difficult to adjust to at first but it brings great rewards, especially when weight loss is concerned.