Oil Pulling: An Ayurvedic Practice for Oral Health
Dr Pardeep Kumar Vashisth
Gurgaon, Gurgaon Oct 18, 2018
What is Oil Pulling?
It is also called oil swishing and is a traditional Ayurvedic treatment performed to maintain oral health. It involves rinsing the mouth with cold pressed ad extra virgin oil specific for your dosha. In the Ayurvedic text, the Charak Samhita it is also known as kavata gandoosha or Kavala Graha.
An Ayurvedic healthy oral hygiene regime includes the following:
- Tongue cleaning to expel ama
- Oil pulling using cold pressed oil
- Gentle brushing using herbal tooth powder or herbal toothpaste
- Salt water rinsing with warm water
How to perform Oil Pulling?
Place about one tablespoon of oil in the mouth then Swish the oil around for 10-15 minutes. Spit it out and Rinse your mouth.
What are the different oils for different Dosha’s?
Sesame seed oil: It is ideal for Vata and Kapha Dosha.
Coconut oil: It is used during pitta aggravation as sesame oil is not recommended to use.
Never use hydrogenated, refined vegetable oils for oil pulling.
What are the Benefits of Oil Pulling?
- Reduce oral plaque.
- It reduces halitosis.
- Reduce the chances of gingivitis.
- Strengthens teeth, gum and even your jaw.
- Act as a preventative shield against cavities and bleeding gum.
- Whiten your teeth.
- Used for the treatment of TMJ and soreness in the jaw.
After oil pulling is complete, always spit out the leftover and never swallow it and if you are allergic to sesame seed oil, then you can also use coconut oil, olive oil or sunflower oil.