Self Care & Sun Safety
Dr Vivekananda Bhat
Lavelle road, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
The harsh, penetrating rays of the sun can cause a lot of skin damage that’s to the heat, weather fluctuations and hot winds. It leaves the skin dry, rough, dull and no to forget the tan. It is also the reason behind clogged pores because of all the dust and sweat.
Here’s your hack to healthy, glowing summer skin!
- Hydrate: It is a given, water is key. It quenches your thirst and flushes out all the toxic wastes from the body, keeping the system clean. Keep yourself hydrated by drinking fruit juices, water and buttermilk which help keep the body cool. The fluids also work as a skin detox and help keep it soft and clear.
- Diet: Cut down on the salt and spices as they tend to have a dehydrating effect on the body. Instead, consume fruits like cucumbers, watermelons, and oranges which contain enough water and contain nutrients. Control meat intake as it increases body heat and includes more leafy greens which boost immunity and decrease stress levels.
- Sunscreen: Its important can never be overstated. Not only does it prevent skin damage and darkening, it protects the skin from harmful UV rays which cause cancer. Avoid stepping out during the afternoon when the sun is at its peak and pick an SPF of at least 30.
- Exfoliate: This an important ingredient to glowing skin. Exfoliation helps get rid of dead cells and make way for new cells which make the skin look clearer and brighter. You can even prepare a homemade scrub using oatmeal, papaya or besan which work great on the skin.
- Cleanse: It is important to cleanse at least twice a day using a good cleanser to help get rid of all the dirt and dust that get accumulated. You can even prepare a homemade cleanser using plain yogurt and honey which not only cleanses but has a cooling and moisturizing effect on the skin.
- Moisturise: Of course, this goes without saying. Use a water-based moisturizer for the summer and massage your skin right after a shower for lasting effects and again at night before bed for glowing skin.
- Steam: You can steam maybe once a week to open up clogged pores and get rid of any dirt that is trapped. It makes the skin softer and clearer as well.
- Steam not recommended for acne-prone skin.
- De-tan: Simple DIY de-tan packs at home work great to give you brighter looking skin. Equal portions of lemon and honey work best, just leave it on for about 20 minutes and rinse off. Another pack is mixing gram flour with a little milk and lemon juice.