What is Phimosis?
Medikoe Health Expert
Koramangala, bengaluru, karnataka, india, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
Usually, by the age of 10, uncircumcised boys can pull back their foreskin completely from their penis head. In certain cases, they are not able to do this till the age of 17, this condition is called phimosis.
Boys who have this condition are generally born with it and phimosis can last through puberty. With time, the foreskin naturally begins to retract and treatment is only required in cases where phimosis arises on skin that was already fully retractable or in boys that experience redness, pain or swelling on the penis head.
- Foreskin infections can cause scaring that make the skin less stretchy
- Forceful pulling of the skin can also causes inflammation and tears, leading to phimosis
- With age, skin begins to loosen and form wrinkles
- Medical conditions like diabetes which could infect the penis
It is a condition where the foreskin gets stuck behind the penis head which could also lead to a cut off in circulation to this part. This is a serious case and people who have this should see a doctor immediately. This could be due to:
- Penis piercing that causes pain and swelling
- Mishandling of foreskin
- Pulling back the foreskin for too long during sex that may cause excess swelling, trapping the skin behind
- Foreskin stuck either on the tip or behind the penis
- Foreskin expands while peeing which could be painful and there might be blood in your stream.
- Pain while you have an erection
- Burning sensation while peeing, UTIs
- Foreskin opening has a white ring
Diagnosis and treatment
Phimosis is a simple treatment that is catered to by a urologist. Depending on the severity of the condition, treatment option varies from steroid creams to a partial or complete circumcision.
Paraphimosis is a serious condition which is treated in an emergency room. The doctors use solutions and needles to reduce the swelling by releasing the fluids trapped and is followed by a circumcision.
It is important to get treated because of these conditions, you are more prone to penile cancer and gangrene formation.