What is Wheat Germ?
Dt Sheetal chhabria
Vasanth nagar, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
It is a part of a wheat kernel and is responsible for helping the plant reproduce and spawn new wheat. It is removed from most processed wheat products and it is a major nutritional component of whole grain wheat. It can be added to some granolas. Cereals, and cornbread, and it is also available raw. It is a popular topping for fruit pies, yogurt, ice cream, and hot or cold cereal. It is also available in liquid and gel cap form. It can be used as a food additive or as a nutritional supplement.
Benefits of Wheat Germ
- The oil found in wheat germ is rich in a form of vitamin E known as tocopherol, which acts as an antioxidant. It protects our body from free radicals.
- It prevents straining and constipation as it is rich in fiber.
- It maintains blood sugar levels as it has fiber in it.
- It keeps the immune system healthy.
- It is a nutrient-rich food, it is also calorie dense. It can lead to weight gain.
- It lowers the bad cholesterol levels to a great extent and increases the blood circulation which in turn, helps in keeping your heart healthy.
- It contains vitamin B, which helps in repairing tissue damage and in tissue growth.
- It has omega-3-fatty acids. Which is beneficial in lifting a mood.
- It prevents many types of birth defects like impotence and miscarriages. It is high in vitamin E.
- It is recommended for pregnant women as it is rich in folic acid.
- It has anti-aging properties.
- It is good for hair growth.
- Contains Gluten
- Could lead to weight gain
- Should be avoided by those with Wheat Allergies