Your Daily Exercise Regimen for Spondylolisthesis
Domlur, Bengaluru Feb 9, 2017
Do you frequently experience back pain, weakness and numbness in your legs, and tightness in the muscles of your legs? If yes, then you may be suffering from a condition of the back known as Spondylolisthesis. In this condition, one of the bones in your back slides over the one below it causing, compression of the nerves and this leads to pain and numbness. Do not worry. Here are a few simple exercises to help you get relief.
- Exercises to help build strong abdominal and back muscles
- PELVIC TILT: Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Pull your belly button towards your spine while flattening your back.
- CORE STRENGTHENING: Lie on your back with your knees bent and your arms by your side. Select one leg and straighten it out from the knee without touching the floor. Bend it again. Repeat this action as fast as you can 20 times. Remember not to touch your leg to the floor. Repeat the same with the other leg and finally with both your arms.
- SUPERMAN’S EXERCISE: Support your body on all 4s (knees and hands). Pull in your abdominal muscles. While maintaining this position, raise you right arm straight to the shoulder level away from you. Now raise the left leg up to the hip level. Maintain this position for several seconds (5-10) and relax. Now repeat the same with the other pair of arm and leg.
b. Stretching exercises for back muscles
- GLUTEAL STRETCH: Lie on your back with both the knees bent. Rest your right ankle over the left knee. Grasp the thigh of the left leg and pull it towards your chest. You will feel a stretch along the buttock and may be on the outside of your hip. Maintain the stretch for 30 seconds and relax. Repeat it 3 times. Now do the same with your left ankle resting on your right knee.