Yellow teeth are definitely not the one which anyone would want to flaunt! But more often than not owing to our busy schedules one is left with little time to paying heed to this not so commonly heeded teeth disaster. Know the causes, facts and preventive measures of tooth discoloration. Your teeth deserve more care than you thought it does. A beautiful smile is an asset isn’t it? Own one with right teeth care !
Presence of stain on the enamel is one of the symptoms that show your teeth are yellowing. Its range can vary right from white steaks to brown spots or yellow tint or spots. There can also be a chance for the enamel to worn away and the appearance of dentin outside and you may notice the yellow tint.
How it happens?
There are many reasons for the appearance of the discoloration of tooth. Some of them have been listed below.
- Too much exposure to fluoride in your early childhood
- Might have used tetracycline antibiotics while when 8 yrs old or younger than that.
- Use of tetracycline antibiotics while in the second half of pregnancy
- Have had trauma in pregnancy and the internal bleeding discolored the tooth
- Birth with a rare condition called dentinogenesis imperfect also causes our tooth to get gray, purple or amber discolorations.
- Trauma affected when young
The prevention of teeth discoloration can be done by following some simple changes in your lifestyle. Smoking and drinking of coffee is like quitting or cutting back everything. Improving the dental hygiene by flushing, brushing regularly and the use of mouthwash all day also getting your teeth cleaned by a dentist or dental hygienist in every 6 months will do well.
If your teeth appear to be an abnormal color without ready explanation and, if other symptoms are also present, make an appointment to see your dentist. Dentist will also recommend you to rinse the mouth with pure water after having coffee, wine or any other food or drinks which will stain your teeth. Also the teeth that already have a root canal may darken whatever it is.
Cure for yellowing of teeth differ depending on how the discoloration happened.
- Have proper flossing and brushing habits
- Avoid the beverage and food which cause stain to happen
- Large usage of counter whitening agents
- In office whitening techniques